Want to completely transform your mornings? Then this is your task, spend 5 to 15 minutes sitting in direct sunlight, within 30 minutes of waking up, each morning. You can do this with a cuppa or while eating your breakfast if you prefer.
This basic short ritual really sets the mood for the rest of your day.
I know it sounds like I’m just talking this up. But I have honestly watched hundreds of people feel completely different (even when utterly exhausted and sleep deprived) when they have started this morning ritual.
Create this habit with your little one and reap the benefits for years to come! Watch as it transforms your child’s mood, baby’s sleep and overall family dynamics.
Here are some scientific reasons why morning sunshine is AMAZING:
- Cortisol Awakening Response: Exposure to natural sunlight in the morning helps stimulate the cortisol awakening response. Cortisol, often referred to as the stress hormone, naturally increases in the morning, signaling wakefulness and preparing the body for the day ahead. This response helps regulate the body’s internal clock, promoting alertness and improved cognitive function throughout the day. Say goodbye to morning coffee cravings and swap it out for morning sunshine.
- Serotonin Release: Sunlight exposure triggers the release of serotonin, often known as the “feel-good” hormone. Serotonin plays a crucial role in mood regulation, promoting feelings of happiness, well-being, and mental clarity. Adequate levels of serotonin are essential for healthy emotional development and overall mental health in children. Morning sunshine has completely transformed our morning battles. My son is up and ready for school waiting for our moment to connect and chat in the sun.
- Vitamin D Synthesis: Sunlight is the primary source of vitamin D for our bodies. Adequate vitamin D levels are essential for the proper functioning of the immune system, bone health, and overall growth and development in children. Morning sunlight exposure helps trigger the production of vitamin D in the skin, ensuring optimal levels for various physiological processes.
- Circadian Rhythm Regulation: Exposure to natural daylight in the morning helps regulate the body’s internal clock and establish a healthy circadian rhythm. This rhythm is responsible for regulating sleep-wake cycles, hormone production, and overall bodily functions. By getting morning sunlight, children can set their internal clocks and experience more restful sleep at night. Yes! The time children wake up is actually more important than bedtime when you are having bedtime battles.
- Improved Immune Function: Sunlight exposure has been linked to enhanced immune function. Vitamin D, synthesized by the body in response to sunlight, plays a crucial role in supporting a robust immune system. Adequate vitamin D levels can help reduce the risk of certain infections and promote overall immune resilience in babies and children.
It’s important to note that while morning sunshine is beneficial, it’s crucial to practice sun safety by avoiding excessive sun exposure during peak hours and ensuring appropriate sun protection measures like wearing hats, sunglasses, and zinc sunscreen. Balancing outdoor time with adequate sun protection can help children reap the benefits of morning sunshine.
SHARE PHOTOS OF YOU ENJOY YOUR MORNING SUNSHINE AND TAG US #OHHEALTHYBABY